Hello Candlelighters Community!
It is my sincerest hope that you and your loved ones, colleagues, friends, neighbours and all those important to you remain safe and healthy during this COVID-19 pandemic.
Life is moving fast, changes are occurring every day and what we do know is things are likely to remain uncertain and unfamiliar for the foreseeable future.
Here is what is happening at Candlelighters and how we are handling the current situation and preparing for the next few months:
Childhood Cancer stops for no one; not even a pandemic. Children continue to receive cancer treatments and based on previous years, we anticipate 10 new childhood cancer diagnosis in our region before the beginning of summer.
Candlelighters remains committed to serving our member families and responding to their needs in a safe and innovative manner.
What Candlelighters is doing amidst the COVID-19 situation:
- Our staff are working remotely, meet daily through FaceTime and remaining in constant communication through text and email;
- Our Board of Directors are providing expertise and oversight throughout this tumultuous time;
- We remain in close contact with the professional health care team at CHEO to ensure that we can continue to address the needs of our members;
- We are keeping our member families up to date on how they can continue to access services;
- We have modified programs to continue offering them. As an example, counselling services by phone and/or video sessions;
- We are anticipating an increase in demand for real, tangible programs that address the evolving needs of our member families.
What has changed at Candlelighters?
- Fundraising! The impact COVID -19 has on the economy will definitely impact Candlelighters and our ability to raise much needed funds to ensure program delivery. We need our community partners more than ever and are grateful for their ongoing commitment to Candlelighters:
- The Inside Ride has been rescheduled to October 8, 2020. Our amazing partners at Nokia and Childhood Cancer Canada/Coast to Coast Against Cancer Foundation remain committed to making this event happen!
- Foundation Ride 4 Light will take place on September 19, 2020. Thank you to Foundation Private Wealth Management for committing to host the 3rd annual ride in 2020. Stay tuned for more details!
- Third Party Events (those hosted by volunteers in the community) have also been postponed for the foreseeable future
What remains the same at Candlelighters?
- Our passion for making a difference in the lives of children, and their families, coping with childhood cancer despite the challenges we are currently experiencing;
- Our commitment to our member families and ensuring the ongoing delivery of programs and services;
- Our appreciation of fabulous community partners and their ongoing commitment to helping us achieve our goals;
- Our gratitude for kind and generous donors who continue to make a positive impact in the lives of children and families!
We are in this together and together we will get through it!